college

Joandrea

2:30:00 AM

Someone once told me that if there is at least one person that you can call a true friend, you're set for life. I couldn't agree more. You see, I'm not the type who goes with big groups. While I don't mind hanging out with a lot of people, at the end of the day, I just look for the quiet company of my closest friends.

I go back to what I call my "core group." I'm lucky to have found these people. Few as they are, they are more than enough. They know me inside and out and they love me anyway.  They listen to me rant and rave about whatever's in my chest, without judgment whatsoever. They're genuinely happy to see me succeed, and they never leave my side when I'm trying to bounce back from failure. They stand by me through everything, but at the same time, they tell me when they don't agree with what I'm doing.

In this group, I am closest to Joandrea. We don't really go way, way back as we only met in college. We both signed up as volunteers for Alay ni Ignacio (ANI), a summer instructional program for public high school students in Quezon City and Marikina. And we didn't exactly click on the first meeting. I was a loud and crazy kid, and she was significantly more reserved.

We both lived in org shirts
We were classmates in Physical Education 101 during the summer term. We bonded over our hot (at the time) professor and our kooky, martial arts-obsessed classmate who claims that he rearranges their home furniture everyday as a form of exercise. We're both musically-inclined, and she taught me a lot about jazz. 

It's safe to say we grew on each other. After that summer, we hung out at school in between classes, smoking cigarettes in the pocket gardens. Sometimes we'd meet up in Katipunan just to talk. Other times I would just go to her house and stay there for hours, without really doing anything. We enjoyed wasting time together. We even wrote a song together (Kape).
Weeks before graduation
After graduation, we talked significantly less. We both looked for and found jobs, and our busy schedules didn't allow for frequent conversations, moreso meetups. And yet when we did get the chance to talk to or see each other, it was as if time had not passed at all. We'd give each other a rundown of what we've been up to since we last spoke or met.

In 2008, Joandrea was diagnosed with lupus, an autoimmune disease, and it changed her life forever. It forced her to quit her job. She couldn't go out to see people. She went through so much physical pain. But the worst part was that she was unable to walk for about a year. With prayers and an awesome support group composed of family and friends, she was able to walk again. She's getting healthier by the day, and she should be able to live normally again very soon.

Through the years, we saw each other through ups and downs, through thick and thin, through pain and happiness. We both went through a lot of things in our own lives, and we've both grown so much because of our experiences. We are no longer the same people we were in college - we're better, stronger, and wiser. While we still have a lot of growing up to do, we're proud of how far we've come.

Joandrea is my rock. I'm afraid to imagine what life would have been like had we not met (so I'm not even going to try). More than a friend, she is family. She is my life partner, and I love her to bits. She is my moral compass, and she always points me to the right direction when I'm not thinking straight. She inspires me in more ways than one, and she encourages me to run after my dreams. She taught me so much, and I would not be who I am now without her.

Cheers to eight years of friendship, and to many, many, many more! :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

2 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)