blog

MW / Musical Wednesday

3:30:00 PM

This is technically not the first time I'm writing about music, but I don't think I can ever say enough. I've been into music my entire life - I started humming even before I started talking! For a while I tried to learn guitar and bass, and both attempts have been unsuccessful so far. Haha!

When I was little, my Dad worked overseas so my Mom, my brother and I would make him mix tapes sung by us. My favorite track was "A Whole New World," with my brother singing Aladdin's part as I took on Jasmine's lines. This went on for about three years or so, until we all grew out of it.

In school, I was always part of the Glee Club, and in my village, I was part of the community choir that sang for Church. This is where I got "trained," somewhat. I wanted voice lessons, but we couldn't afford it, so I had to resort to other means. Come to think of it, I was quite the resourceful kid!

College was the best period for me, musically. I was part of the choir for one of my orgs, and for a brief period I was the head of the group. I had some gigs here and there, mostly for friends' birthday parties and school events. I pretty much sang whatever people asked me to sing, and I collaborated with just about anyone.

On my third year, I began exploring more genres of music. I got exposed to funk, soul, jazz, bossa nova and rock. I listened to everything from Mr. Big to Metallica, Led Zeppelin to Mishka Adams, Sarah Vaughan to Lee Ritenour, but at the same time, I grew more selective of the songs that I liked.

Life
I also tried my hand at songwriting, but with the exception of Kape, my lyrics were loaded with so much teeny-bopper angst that I really don't ever want to sing those songs again! I'm actually quite lucky that I was surrounded by creative people in Ateneo. Collaborating with them allowed me to channel my energy to make music.

Managing a band was something I also dabbled with on my senior year. My brother-in-law, Raymond, was the lead singer of a funk-soul group called Familiar, and he asked me to step in as the manager. It was an emotional rollercoaster, but it was something I wouldn't have missed for the world. I met my five-year partner, Marvie, through the group - he played the guitar. And I met a lot of musicians, some of whom are actually still my friends to this day.

Music is slowly making a comeback into my life, and I plan to write about what I'm up to. I'm going to share the songs I'm listening to right now and the musicians I know and/or look up to. I'll write new songs and blog about them - why, how, when they were written. More than that, I also want to occasionally walk down memory lane.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." -Ludwig van Beethoven

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)