blog

HFT / Gym music mix

12:05:00 AM

Being a wannabe musician as well as a wannabe athlete, I am very particular with my playlist for my workouts! My first-generation, 4GB iPod Nano (which I simply refuse to replace) is my constant gym companion. Although there are television sets in front of the cardio machines so you can watch what you want while burning calories, I still stick to my music (except of course, when UFC is on Balls Channel).

A gift from Kuya Erroll! :)
The list has 42 songs in all, but of course I can never listen to everything in a single session because I do not work out for four whole hours. Besides, I listen to music only while doing cardio (usually on the treadmill), because it's actually quite the hassle to keep the sound cord at bay when I'm doing various drills and floor exercises. 

My workout playlist is probably one of, if not the oddest of all time. Someone commented that my selection is generally uninspiring, especially for cardio, but I'm actually quite happy with what I have. Most of the songs are from rock groups in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s, and heavy beats make me feel strangely powerful, haha!

I tend to skip songs when I'm running, because I try to look for tunes that match my current speed. I want my strides to be in sync with the bass lines as much as possible. I usually just need one to two songs to complete the warm-up, but for cool down I go for three to four. When I'm warming up or cooling down at 5.5kph to 6kph, my usual song choices are:

Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
American Woman - Lenny Kravitz
Green-Tinted Sixties Mind - Mr. Big
Walk this Way - Aerosmith
Ironman - Black Sabbath
Alive and Kickin' - Mr. Big
Under Pressure - Queen
We All Die Young - Steel Dragon
NIB - Black Sabbath
Paradise City - Guns N Roses

Bulk of my playlist is intended for my cruising speed, which is usually about 8.5kph to 10kph, depending on my body's condition and of course, my mood. I run about three to five kilometers as often as I could as I am preparing for the 42-kilometer marathon. I do have some upbeat pop tunes (I totally skipped jazz standards and bossa nova), although I have to admit that it's still predominantly heavy rock:

Good Days and Bad Days - Kaiser Chiefs
Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson
Fuel - Metallica
American Boy - Estelle feat. Kanye West
My Sharona - The Ramones
Tikman ang Ulan - Razorback
Beat It - Michael Jackson
Daddy, Lover, Brother and Little Boy - Mr. Big
Go Go Power Rangers - Eric Martin Band
I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones
Moves Like Jagger - Maroon 5 feat. Christina Aguilera
Canned Heat - Jamiroquai
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Wanna Be Starting Something - Michael Jackson
You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
Are You Gonna Go My Way - Lenny Kravitz
Beat It - Michael Jackson
Addicted to that Rush - Mr. Big
Cowboys from Hell - Pantera
Fever (Adam Freeland Remix) - Sarah Vaughan
Another One Bites the Dust - Queen

But of course, no run would be complete without the sprint, and for that, I only choose from four songs:

Highway Star - Deep Purple
Tulisan - Wolfgang
Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
Overnight Sensation - Firehouse

The fast tempo and the sheer power of these rock hits push me to run like a madwoman! Sprinting from 11.5 to 12.5kph, the incendiary guitar-playing matches the length, the power, and the speed of my stride. And when it's over, I feel like a winner! Haha!

Music makes workouts fun, so I think everyone should have his or her own playlist (except for group exercises). It's a good distraction when one is fighting pain. It's also a great pace-setter, in addition to being an effective motivator.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)