blog

HFT / I am the Skyway

12:09:00 AM

In a number of previous posts, I've already talked about joining the 2012 Condura Skyway Marathon (CSM). In the introduction to my Health and Fitness Tuesday category, I shared how the event was a turning point for me despite the fact that I was just pressured into joining. It was this marathon that got me started with running, giving me a new lease not just on my physical health, but on life, in general.

Obviously, that run means so much to me. It was my first time to join an event like that, and five kilometers was a daunting distance for me. I didn't even dare to hope to finish the race, let alone do it in good time because I haven't jogged in years, and I've been smoking like a chimney for almost a decade. The result was nothing short of surprising - I finished in 42 minutes and 35 seconds, which is not bad at all for a couch potato slash chain smoker.

The Running Belles, pre-race
Post-race, with our medals! L-R: Shaine, Janel, Danna, Ana, moi
At the time of the marathon, I was nursing a broken heart. Just a couple of months earlier, my five-year relationship ended, and although I hid it well from my family, most of my friends, and my colleagues, I was actually an emotional trainwreck then. But I guess life has other plans for me, and this run was the proverbial slap in the face that I needed to get me out of my depression.

I ran all five kilometers with a determination that surprised even me, and when I reached the finish line, I felt like a completely new person. I was at my happiest in months, and at the same time, a new sense of calm took over me. It was as if I shook off the pain as I ran, leaving the all-consuming negativity in the dust once and for all. I bounced back, and I was stronger and happier.

In the future, I know that I will participate in more runs, but CSM will always among my favorites. This was where The Running Belles was formed. The dri-fit shirts were really very nice, and there were a lot of other freebies during the post-race expo. It's for a good cause, too - the proceeds will go to mangrove reforestation in Zamboanga. And getting a medal at the end of the run was the icing on top of the cake! :)

P.S. The title is a bad rip-off of Audioslave's I Am The Highway. Haha :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)