blog

HFT / Why run?

12:04:00 AM

When I told my friend Abet that I was training for the 42-kilometer marathon, his reaction was "ISAY, YOU'RE CRAZY!!!" I actually agree with him, because I am quite the nutcase for somehow wanting to subject myself to the physical pain of extreme training when I'm already gifted with a metabolism that keeps unwanted pounds at bay. 

So why am I doing this?

On more than one post, I talked about being a swimmer for the college varsity team. What I haven't mentioned in my blog is that I considered myself a mediocre athlete. Don't get me wrong - physically, I was very strong and very fit. I was definitely capable of taking on competition. I was very passionate. Passion is a strong feeling for something, and I was sure I felt it for swimming.

But it was only enough to get me started. It was not enough to keep me going. Passion is akin to a flame that can be easily put out with a bucket of water. To keep the flame alive, there must always be fuel. That fuel is the will to keep going, and that was what I lacked. On more than one occasion, I gave up because the passion I had at the beginning burned out. I loved swimming, but I was exhausted and I couldn't find my second wind.

A death in the family didn't help; it only became an added push to just give up. So I talked to Coach Janice to tell her I was leaving the team for good. I told her that I couldn't afford to stay on the team because my post-training sustenance tripled my food bills. The reason I gave her was true, but it was only half the story. I couldn't tell her the bigger reasons: that my passion for swimming was gone,  and that I didn't have the will to stay. While I don't regret leaving the team, I must admit that there are some days when I wonder how I would be different if I stayed.

After the Condura Skyway Marathon, the endorphins in my system gave me a high that I haven't felt in a long time. It was then that I knew I wanted to be an athlete again, and this time around, I want to run. My friend Karlo once told me that running is one of the cheapest sports. Nautrally, you will need to invest in some other things as you get more serious, but it still wouldn't cost you much to give it a try.

About two weeks after the fun run, I had dinner with my college friend, Bianca. She's a finisher of the 42-kilometer marathon, and she encouraged me to go for it, too. She said only 1% of the global population can run the full marathon, so finishing it puts you in an exclusive circle. When I heard that, I felt a strong urge to go for it, too.

Yes, I want to be part of an elite club of athletes. I said earlier that I was a mediocre swimmer, and I guess that has always haunted me subconsciously. Finishing that marathon will pluck me out of athletic mediocrity and put me where I could have been if I only had the will to continue swimming. Some might find my motivation superficial, and I can't blame anyone who thinks so.

Because it is superficial, on the one hand. I want to accomplish something that few others can do. I want bragging rights, so to speak. However, there is something more to this goal than just a claim to fame. After all, I am working my butt off for it. This is a reminder that I can do anything if I set my mind to, anything I put my heart to, as long as I don't give up halfway.

A chance
(photo from the internet)
I gave up on swimming. Running is my redemption.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)