blog

MW / I live on Avenue Q

12:12:00 AM


One of my college blockmates, Ralph, introduced me to this awesome Broadway show called Avenue Q. Let me just say now that this is not for everyone - it is the most politically incorrect musical in history! It touches on various topics, such as, but not limited to, racism, unemployment, sex, homosexuality, and even love.

I actually haven't seen the show. There was one time that a theater group in the Philippines staged Avenue Q, but I only heard about it after the run so I never got to see it. The Broadway run ended a few years ago, and even if it were running still, I don't really have the means to go to New York (I don't even have a US visa!). But I have repeatedly listened to the soundtrack, and it just gets funnier and funnier every time! Some people might find it offensive, and I completely understand why.
Political incorrectness at its best
(photo from the internet)
At the same time, however, I feel that everyone could actually learn a thing or two from Avenue Q. "Everyone's A Little Bit Racist" is a good example of the musical's unconventional wisdom. In one way or another, we are all victims of racial discrimination. But if you think about it, we, too, are guilty of stereotyping. The song tells us that if we could all just admit that we can be racists, and if we don't take racist jokes as personal attacks, we could all probably get along better. I don't know about you, but I agree with that!

Of all the songs in the soundtrack, what really hit me hard is "For Now." It's a reminder of how everything in life is temporary, except for death and taxes. The things we value, the people we cherish, our jobs, our money, and our happiness will pass, so we need to be resilient. Life will take its course and there's no use trying to fight it, so we just have to remember that whatever it is we're going through, it's only for now.

If you have the time, and if you're looking for unconventional wisdom, I highly recommend that you watch/listen to Avenue Q. :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)