blog

LT / The Sherlockian

12:30:00 AM

Since I got to read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes novels and stories, I have become an aficionado of sorts. The complete compilation published by Bantam Books was actually divided into two paperback volumes. Pauline got me Volume 1, and Marvie got me 2, for Christmas/my birthday in 2010.

I watched director Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes and Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, starring Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law. I am also a huge fan of Sherlock, the BBC series created by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffatt, with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman leading the talented British cast.

At the moment, I am eagerly anticipating the release of Elementary, a CBS series starring Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu. Another modern take on the classic pieces of literature, this American production promises to be different from its Trans-Atlantic counterpart, starting with a female Watson.

So by now it should be clear that I am a Sherlock Holmes fan. When I first heard about Graham Moore's The Sherlockian from my best friend Joandrea, I was naturally curious. I bought a copy from Fully Booked, and I read the novel in four hours.

Murder mystery
I ended up disappointed. Not that it was a bad book, because it was actually very good! It was well-written, smart, and fast-paced; the author has a gift for mystery, and I couldn't put the book down until I was done. I enjoyed reading it. What disappointed me is that it's completely about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his lost diary. Yes, I read the snippet printed on the back cover, which clearly states that it's not about the Sherlock Holmes character. But I still wanted him to be there, so basically, I set myself up for disappointment.

Nevertheless, it is a delightful read, and I would recommend it to anyone, Holmes aficionado or not. :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)