gift

The gift that keeps on giving

2:03:00 PM

Today I received a text message from my former boyfriend, Marvie, offering to waive his half of the condominium unit we purchased together. Suffice it to say that the condo was a big issue for us when we broke up. We got it on a fifteen-year payment scheme, and we each paid half of the monthly amortization after rental income. By the time we broke up, we've already invested a considerable sum of money to the property.

I didn't want to sell the unit for a lot of reasons. In the end, it was decided that I get to keep the place. I'll continue paying the monthly dues on my own, and I'll buy Marvie out by returning his share little by little starting this December. Based on my budget forecast, I should be able to pay him back completely in two years or less. He knows about this plan alaready, so I was taken aback when he sent me that message.

Naturally, I wanted to know why he would just give up his stake. He simply said he didn't want me to worry about giving his share back. It's a big amount, and I wasn't comfortable with the idea of just taking it. We were together for five years, but we weren't married, so I didn't think it was proper for me to accept. He's not rich (neither am I), and I know for sure that he can use the money to finish school and/or to help his family.

The next thing I know, I was staring at my phone's screen through a pool of tears. He said that I've given him so much, and he doesn't want me to worry about paying him back while I was still paying for the remainder of the amortizations. He wanted me to be able to call it my own, officially, completely. He thought that it would help us both, because even if we're over, our lives are still intertwined because of the unit.

Finally, we both get to walk away completely.
(photo from the internet)
So I reconsidered. And in the end, I decided to accept his offer. It's a good thing for both of us; it was the way for us to close this chapter of our lives and move on separately. In my post Timely Wisdom from HIMYM, I wrote about how if there is a possibility of us getting back together, no matter how remote, a part of me will want to hang around and wait. This is closing the door once and for all, and the finality is bittersweet.
The gift that keeps on giving.
(photo from the internet)
Our five years together was a wonderful gift, one that keeps on giving. From where I'm standing now, everything about the relationship, even the end, has been good. And now, we're both completely open for something even better ahead.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

2 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)