eudaimonia

Getting inked

6:08:00 PM

I've wanted a tattoo since high school, but I never had the guts to go out and get myself inked permanently. I'm not worried much about the pain, or the possibility of getting diseases from unsterilized needles. My main concern is I'm fickle-minded, and I'm worried that in the long run, I might not like the design of the tattoo I'm going to get.

Fire Tiger, according to Google
(image from the internet)
For a while, I considered the Chinese character for fire tiger - the symbol for my birth year, 1986. I'm a small part Chinese, and even if I don't really believe in astrology, I appreciate what the fire tiger represents: passion and verve. It would have been a good choice, but when I Googled possible designs, there were so many different results. Since I have absolutely no knowledge on Chinese calligraphy, I couldn't really tell which one was right.
Powerful
(image from the internet)
A tattoo is permanent, and I didn't want to take the risk of getting the symbol that does not mean what I think it means. So I gave up on the fire tiger character, and I shifted my attention to dragons. The appeal was fire and power in one sinister, deadly package. It doesn't reflect my personality; it's more of a projection. And when the movie The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was released, I finally decided against it; I didn't want to be a Lisbeth Salander copycat.

Eudaimonia = Happiness = Indestructible
(image from the internet)
Just about an hour ago, I re-read an old blog post about eudaimonia - an Aristotelian term loosely translated to 'happiness' (I got fixated on the concept since the first time I heard it in Philosophy class, and I have aspired for it ever since). It was then that it hit me - this is the tattoo I want. So I scoured the internet for the word in its original Greek form, and I must say, finding it was quite the eureka moment.

So now it's just a matter of figuring out which body part gets inked. I'm avoiding the areas that cannot be concealed by my usual clothing, so that leaves me with the torso. I heard that it's exceptionally painful in the rib area, but I'm considering it. That, or my lower back, or my upper right shoulder. Ack! I hope I don't take another 12 years to decide! Wish me luck! :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)