blog

HFT / Eating healthier

12:00:00 AM

I have an on-again, off-again love affair with junk food. Nothing is more comforting than a bag of Cheetos after a long, stressful day. Well, maybe a bar or two of Magnum Almond. But as the name implies, junk food is junk, so the feel-good effect is temporary, and your body pays the price in the long run.

Since I've been working out a lot lately, I figured it's just right that I adjust my eating habits to suit my somewhat healthier lifestyle. While I still occasionally indulge in hefty servings of MSG, I've made a conscious decision to opt for nutritious alternatives. For starters, I've traded in hotdogs and bacon for fish.

Good thing tuna and milkfish come in cans, so that made the transition easier. My favorite go-to dish is either a can of Century Tuna Flakes in Brine or Century Bangus Fillet in Vegetable Oil, sauteed in a little bit of Knorr Seasoning and lots of random herbs and spices in our kitchen - rosemary, basil, chili powder, and fresh-ground pepper. And when I need the extra protein (either at the start of my day or after an intense workout), an egg topping is a great fix!

Bangus is always comforting.
Tuna and egg = the ultimate protein fix
Vegetables remain to be a challenge for me, but I'm working on that. I find that it's always best to steam and blanch them to retain all key nutrients. My medley is always composed of broccoli, carrots, young corn, and pear squash, seasoned with butter, basil and a little bit of sea salt.
This is how I like my vegetables.
(photo from the internet)
I like milk, so I don't have problems in the dairy department. Besides, the constant supply of ice cream in the office helps ensure that I get my daily calcium requirement. I do like soy milk as an alternative, but I try to control my intake of that since too much could lead to high uric acid levels.
Got milk?
(photo from the internet)
Eating healthy does not necessarily mean eating bland food. You just have to do a little bit of research, and more importantly, you have to be willing to try new things. I for one am a really picky eater, so every new dish is a big thing for me. I just have to constantly make the decision to eat for the long haul.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)