blog

HFT / With every step and every drop

12:00:00 AM

I don't know what possessed me, but on one rainy evening in August, I found myself dusting off my cross-trainers, putting on a tank top and shorts, and leaving the protective walls and roof of our house for a nice, long run. Well, it was a mere two kilometers, but it was enough for my first time running under the rain.

Thankfully, there wasn't thunder, lightning, or strong winds that night. I ran along Marcos Highway to steer clear of stray dogs in our village. The heavy downpour drowned out the smoke from the passing vehicles, so I didn't choke with each breath.

Tears of the sky
(photo from the internet)
For the longest time, I didn't want to do it. I get sick quite easily, so I didn't want to risk contracting the flu. My immune system was already compromised by smoking and junk food, so I didn't really need that big a push to get sick. But my trainer, Daryll, challenged me to do it.
Impulse
(photo from the internet)
He only had one care instruction, and that's to hit the shower immediately after the workout. Naturally, I obeyed him. But because I'm paranoid about getting sick, I decided to take extra precautions. I loaded up on vitamin C (one full gram), and I drank two full glasses of fresh milk.
I was young once
(photo from the internet)
Running in the rain brought me back to my childhood. When I was a kid, I would always ask my mother for permission to go outside and play in the rain, and more often than not, she wouldn't let me. But when she did give her blessing, my friends and I would frolic in a mix of water from the skies and from a garden hose.

With every drop of water on my face, I felt as though all anxieties, frustrations, and pain were being washed away, and with each stride, I was getting somewhere safe. It was as though my soul were being cleansed. At the end of the run, I was refreshed, light, and at ease. Happy, even.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)