blog

LT / From fixation to acquisition

12:30:00 AM

Since I first finished reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being when I was a college junior, I became fixated with Milan Kundera's work. I have made it my life's mission to read all of this author's novels. I had an awesome Philosophy instructor, and it is because of him that I learned to appreciate this kind of literature.

My go-to author, Milan Kundera
(photo from the internet)
I actually have two copies of The Unbearable Lightness of Being. One was from Jonar, my college friend. He was a philosophy major, and this was but one of the mountains of his required readings. I borrowed it from him, but I ended up keeping it. My other copy is from my brother, Erroll, who bought me the book for Christmas. Although the content is identical, I don't think I can ever let one go.

At the time, Kundera's other works were not as easy to find; the only title available in National Bookstore was The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Without a credit card, online shopping wasn't really an option then, and as there weren't really e-books yet, all I could do was wait.
These are a few of my favorite things.
Luckily, one of my professors from the Filipino Department (I was three units shy of a minor in Filipino Literature, boo!) sold me his copy of The Book of Laughter and Forgetting for Php120.00. He was moving from one apartment to another; he sold some of his books to fund his transfer and to reduce clutter.

And my blockmate, Ralph, lent me his copy of Identity. It was a gift from his ex-girlfriend, and he was kind enough to loan me the book when he was done with it. I held on to it for so long that in the end, he just decided to give it to me. That was the third book in my Kundera collection.

Thanks to the rise of specialty bookstores like Powerbooks and Fully Booked, I managed to complete Kundera's novels by 2010. I was already working at the time, so I had the spending power to acquire the titles. Farewell Waltz, Life is Elsewhere, and Ignorance were bought all at once, and I read them within a week of the date of purchase.

The universe definitely supported me in this obsession; for the office Christmas party in SMX, my Secret Santa, Gelle, gave me a copy of Immortality. Laughable Loves and Slowness were my last two acquisitions, funded by my annual bonus. I've read all ten books already, and I re-visit them whenever I could.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)