blog

MW / There can be depth in pop

12:00:00 AM

Some time in the late 90s, MTV was flooded with Australian pop duo Savage Garden. I wasn't the biggest fan of Truly, Madly, Deeply, as it was a bit too cheesy for my taste. But my brother, Erroll, liked them enough to buy their album - a cassette tape, no less! I listened to it and I was pleasantly surprised. I actually liked their music, particularly the songs that didn't make it to the radio.

So 90s. And so pop.
(image from the internet)
The one song that stood out for me was Santa Monica (click here for the listening link). Although it still falls under the pop spectrum, this song earns my respect with its lovely melody and melancholy lyrics. It's about insecurity, about putting up facades and hiding behind them. I'm certain that's something everyone can understand - after all, the 12-year-old me got it. Below are the lyrics:

In Santa Monica in the winter time 
The lazy streets so undemanding 
I walk into the crowd 
In Santa Monica you get your coffee from 
The coolest places on the promenade 
Where people dress just so 
Beauty so unavoidable 
Everywhere you turn it's there 
I sit and wonder what am I doing here? 

But on the telephone line I am anyone 
I am anything I want to be 
I could be a supermodel or Norman Mailer 
And you wouldn't know the difference 
Or would you? 

In Santa Monica, all the people got 
Modern names like Jake or Mandy 
And modern bodies too 
In Santa Monica, on the boulevard, 
You'll have to dodge those in-line skaters 
Or they'll knock you down 

I never felt so lonely, 
Never felt so out of place 
I never wanted something more than this 

But on the telephone line I am anyone 
I am anything I want to be 
I could be a supermodel or Norman Mailer 
And you wouldn't know the difference 
On the telephone line, I am any height 
I am any age I want to be 
I could be a caped crusader, or space invader 
And you wouldn't know the difference 
Or would you?

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)