blog

LT / Moon Song + debrief

12:00:00 AM

I recently unearthed Moon Song, a poem I wrote when I was about ten or eleven years old:

The crickets have a lonely rhythm to their song
And the nights and kids' faces seem twice as long
I ask myself if the moon, despite its light
Hangs alone in darkness and in plight

It's not easy being a desolate moon
You try to stay, but you're forced away
The sun willl come, you're gone too soon
Your little light cannot make night day

You can only wait for the sun to rise
Drown in its fires and its sheer size
Patiently waiting for time to pass
Hoping each night would not be your last

Inspiration
(photo from the internet)
Again, please allow me to emphasize that I was either ten or eleven years old when I wrote this. I previously wrote about my childhood obsession with clouds, so I guess I have to admit that I'm that kid who's almost always looking to the heavens for answers. I read Edith Hamilton's Mythology way too early.

To be honest, I don't really remember how or why I wrote this; I must have been having a really bad/sad day that I forced myself to rhyme. I don't think this is my best piece, but I'm cutting the young me some slack (and I'm hoping you would, too!). What matters is I tried, and I think I've improved with each attempt.

Segue: I told my best friend Joandrea about finding this piece, and she said that this is proof that writing is my thing. We both read Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers, and she said that if I've been writing since that age, then I must have already put in my 10,000 hours, or maybe even more.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

2 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)