blog

MW / Detective music

12:00:00 AM

I am a huge fan of BBC's Sherlock, the modern-day adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novels and stories about the greatest fictional detective of all time, Sherlock Holmes. Like my other boob tube addiction (Suits), the writing is absolutely impeccable, as is the acting.


And just like Suits, I am absolutely hooked to the soundtrack. But the music from Sherlock is completely different. For starters, you can actually buy the CDs (there's one for each of the two seasons) from Amazon! That means I don't have to buy the albums of all the featured artists to enjoy the songs.
Compiled
(image from the internet)
Everything is instrumental, and most of the tracks were performed by an orchestra although they were constructed using synthesizers. It's my current reading playlist. My favorite, Irene's Theme, was performed on a solo violin, is probably one of the most poignant pieces of music I have ever heard.
The Woman, the inspiration
(photo from the internet)
The entire score was specifically composed for the show by David Arnold and Michael Price. The two worked closely with the producers (Mark Gatiss, who also plays Mycroft in the series, Sue Vertue, and Steven Moffatt) to create music that was "going to be the defining sound of the show" (quoted from the Sherlock page on Wikipedia).

But I think they've accomplished more than that. I think the soundtrack gave the show more character. Heck, I think the soundtrack is a character - highly intelligent, borderline elitist, incredibly moody, and still very human. I know that's a weird way to describe music, so I'll try to expound.

Classical influence is evident, and I think that's appropriate considering the characters were plucked out of the 1800s. The tempo changes according to the pace of the show at any given time. And the instruments and the arrangements created layers one can peel off little by little with each opportunity to listen.

If you love the show, and/or if you have an appreciation for modern music with classical foundations, then I highly recommend that you get yourself a copy of this soundtrack. I promise, it's worth it.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

2 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)