blog

MW / Hands that make music

12:00:00 AM

I've been singing since I was young, but I never learned to play an instrument until I was in college. It's not that I wasn't interested, because I was; we just didn't have the resources (to buy instruments or to pay for a teacher). Ever since I was a kid, I've been complimented by random people for having long, bony, hands that would have been 'perfect to play the piano with.'

Almost creepy
During the summer term of my sophomore year in college, I took an elective called Creativity and Problem Awareness. To pass the course, I needed to commit to a Dream Project, which should be accomplished in all but two months. My project was to learn how to play the guitar. As it turns out, the grade was a good motivator; I did manage to teach myself how to play basic guitar by the end of the summer term.
College baby fat
After the term, however, I didn't bother to try to take my guitar skills to the next level. It's not that I was busy, because I do pretty well in the time management department. I just didn't have the drive to keep learning it. I played for a crowd all but twice, and then I just stopped. I don't regret doing so; the guitar is just not for me. Instead I focused on singing, and on managing Familiar.

A couple of years ago, I experimented with the bass guitar, and I enjoyed it immensely. It wasn't too hard to get started because I had a little background in guitar. I bought a second-hand bass guitar from Familiar's bassist, Mathew, but it was the guitarist who taught me how to play. I learned the basics, and every night for a few months, I would practice for a couple of hours.
Groovy, baby
I never got to play in public; I never got to that level. I did get to jam with the band and with Marvie, but I was not ready to play outside the practice studio. When my mother was diagnosed of cancer, I decided to sell the bass guitar to help pay for her treatment. That was the end of the experiment, but I don't regret it. After all, I still use my hands for music.

I write songs. And I'm going to keep at it.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)