blog

MW / Music education and raw talent

12:00:00 AM

Last week, I talked about my stint as the manager of Familiar.  Hanging out with the boys, I learned so much about good music. They exposed me to various genres of music I never bothered exploring. Gershwin and Mathew often gave me tracks to listen to; the former was my source of classic and 90s rock, while the latter supplied me with funk, jazz and soul.

I grew more critical of the kinds of music I listened to under their unofficial tutelage. I already was picky before, but I became pickier. I boycotted light radio, and I never looked back. I immersed myself in good music, the type that takes raw talent to make, the sort that doesn't dumb people down, the kind that pleases the ears as well as the soul.


On top of the music education, what I liked about the group is the sheer talent. I'm crazy about talent, and all five had it. They knew what they were doing, and they were quite the masters of their craft. It's a shame that the run ended before they got to start composing original music.

I've met a lot of musicians, a good mix of the real and the so-called. Some were more popular than others, but if there's one thing I've learned, it's that the size of the audience is never a reliable indicator of talent. Familiar was among the unknowns, but they were among the great ones.
The boys in their final gig
My time with them were the good old days I will always look back to fondly. They opened my ears to something greater, and for that, I will always be grateful.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)