advice

A rational approach to fear

12:00:00 AM

I’d like to share with you all some advice I gave a friend who told me he was afraid of a lot of things:

  1. Make a list of all the things you’re afraid of.
  2. Explain why you’re afraid of each item you listed down.
  3. Imagine the worst case scenario and write it down.
  4. Note down the thing/s that this fear has prevented you from doing.
  5. Weigh your options. Ask yourself how much your goal means to you, how badly you want it. If you don’t want it badly enough, put it at the bottom of your list. Prioritize the goals that mean more to you.
  6. Write down the things that will help you get over your fears little by little, to prepare you for the ultimate goal.
Do yourself a favor.
(image from the internet)
Here’s an example:
  1. I am afraid of singing in front of a huge crowd.
  2. I am afraid of singing in public because I feel that I am not good enough.
  3. I might make a fool of myself in front of a huge crowd.
  4.  I declined one too many invitations to perform at different events.
  5.  I desperately want to sing!
Steps:
  • I can probably start by singing at home, with my family/friends as my audience.
  • I can join a choir so I get used to singing for the public, but I’ll be with a group so my mistakes won’t be that obvious.
  • I can sing with a partner for small events.
  • I can sing alone for small events, until I get comfortable enough for big events.
  • UPDATE: Love the attention! (Thanks, Jerry, for your input!)
This won’t apply to every possible fear, and this list won’t work for all people. But I do hope it does help someone on something.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)