blog

LT / Consulting detective

12:00:00 AM

Until 2010, I have not read any of the original stories and novels written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle on Sherlock Holmes. But I still grew up knowing who Sherlock Holmes is; I've read a lot of mystery works and a good chunk of them alluded to the greatest and most beloved fictional detective of all time.

The movie that made me want to read the books.
(image from the internet)
The nth big screen adaptation of Sherlock Holmes was released in 2010, which was written and directed by Guy Ritchie. Robert Downey, Jr. took on the iconic role of the world's only consulting detective, while Jude Law played his loyal friend and sidekick, Dr. John Watson.
Modernizing without bastardizing
(image from the internet)
Although the film was quite good, I prefer BBC's television series Sherlock, which is actually a modern-day adaptation of the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock and Martin Freeman as Watson. I especially love their fresh and creative take on Jim Moriarty, Sherlock's arch-nemesis, and Irene Adler, the only woman he treated as an equal.
Judgment awaits.
(image from the internet)
Right now I'm also hooked on Elementary, the modern American adaptation of the characters. I know that the hardcore Sherlock fans aren't very happy about this new take, but I like it a lot. Jonny Lee Miller is quite the bad boy. The decision to make Watson a female is very interesting, and I love that she's not a pushover. Sherlock's not exactly the nicest guy ever, so it's nice that someone is actually standing up to him/putting him in his place.
Volume 1
My friend Pauline gave me volume one of Bantam Classics' reprint of the complete novels and stories about Sherlock Holmes, while my ex-boyfriend Marvie bought me a copy of volume two. I devoured both volumes in a single weekend. Everything is crazy good.
Volume 2
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's works have received so much acclaim since they were first published, and quite frankly, there's not much left for me to say, except maybe this: I encourage everyone to feed his or her brain by reading these novels and stories. I will admit that my motivation to read Sherlock Holmes was the movie, which I like. But the books, well - the books, I love.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

2 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)