bargain

LT / Literary ukay-ukay

12:00:00 AM

If there's one thing I love more than cheap clothes, it's CHEAP BOOKS! My bargain-hunting skills are not limited to clothing; it extends to books, too. For the record, I do not mind paying full price for books, especially the good ones, because I know they're worth every penny.

But there's nothing wrong with buying two (or more) books for the price of one! Whenever I'm looking for a new title, I visit Book Sale first to check if they have it on sale (if it isn't available there, that's the time I go to Fully Booked or National Bookstore).

The Tower
Second-hand books fascinate me, because it's like getting three stories in one volume. The first story is the one originally penned by the author, the text printed on the very pages of the book. Then I think about the previous owner and how he or she must have been like to want to read such a book. The last is the story of the book, itself - of its journey from one owner, one reader, one shelf to the next.
Thank you for the book, M. E. Ruben.
I especially love getting books signed by the previous owner; I recently got a hardbound copy of a collection of Aldous Huxley's works previously owned by a certain M. E. Ruben, from November 1947. When I saw his signature on the top sheet, my imagination went wild with ideas about how this person looked like and how he lived. And in my mind I tried to retrace the journey of the book, itself, and how it finally found its way to me.

Whenever I finish a book, I find myself wondering whose hands will hold it next, or whose shelf it will call its home after it leaves mine. If I do have kids, they'll inherit my books, of course - but what if they don't want them? Who will love my books the same way I did? It's weird, but the thought of my books getting thrown out really bothers me. I just hope that my literary babies find an equally loving owner when I'm gone.

Yes, I overthink.

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers. -Charles W. Eliot, The Durable Satisfactions of Life

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)