blog

MW / Sorely missed

12:00:00 AM

I don't know Amy Winehouse on a personal level, but when I read about her untimely demise, I found myself fighting back tears. I will admit that I am not her biggest fan, but I had great respect for her as an artist and as a musician. She left a void that no one could fill. She's sorely missed.

Unmatched.
(photo from the internet)
It made me sad knowing that she will never make new music again. But more than that, I was affected by her death because at the end of the day, she's just like any one of us - a person. A troubled one, but a person nonetheless. The world watched, entertained, as she struggled with her addiction.

The world must have forgotten that she's someone's daughter, sister, wife, and friend. She was treated not as a human being but rather as a source of amusement. Her personal life overshadowed her music, and I am appalled at how hungrily people devoured news about her mishaps.

This woman oozed raw talent. No one sang, sings, and will sing the way she did. Her hauntingly beautiful, almost otherworldly voice comes from somewhere deep. I previously wrote about how pain makes one's voice more beautiful, and Amy's is arguably the most apropos example of that.

My friend Gershwin made me listen to the original demo of her song "Love is a Losing Game," and it immediately become my favorite. I don't think I've ever heard anything more real and more surreal at the same time. She sung that (and everything else) from her very soul, and I got so affected I had to cover it.

I spend whole days listening to her music, and I think that if and when I have kids, I'll make them listen, as well - the same way my parents made me listen to The Beatles, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple when I was growing up. She's in the same league of awesome.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)