blog

LT / The exception

12:00:00 AM

When books are made into films, I usually find myself disappointed at the results. I don't like how details I personally believe to be important are left out of the scripts. For the record, though, I understand that certain sacrifices need to be made because of limitations such as screen time and/or budget.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of the film adaptations of the books that I've read. I'm not saying they're all poorly-made - a lot of them are actually quite good movies. I guess I just expect so much because of my prior experience from reading. Robert James Waller's novel, The Bridges of Madison County, was the exact opposite of a disappointing adaptation.

Book = Average
I didn't like the book so much, to be honest. I'm not a cynic, and I don't find the idea of middle-aged people falling in love silly. The writing was neither good nor bad; it was just okay. Simply put, the book was mediocre. It certainly didn't help that I read it right after finishing Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being for the third time.
Movie = Awesome
But the movie was incredible, and I absolutely loved it. Casting Meryl Streep as Francesca was sheer genius; her portrayal put a certain depth into the character that I didn't find in the book. I think the movie would have been disastrous if they chose someone else for the role.
The scene that broke my heart to bits.
Clint Eastwood's Robert Kincaid was a revelation for people who have boxed him as Dirty Harry. His direction made this movie a masterpiece despite the weaknesses of the original literature. I am almost always biased for the book, but this movie converted me.
Flirting
This is, by far, the only time that I liked the film more than I liked the book upon which it was based. Normally, I'd tell you to grab a copy of the book and read before you watch the film. But this is a different case - you can go right ahead with the movie!

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)