blog

LT / Journal-crazy

12:00:00 AM

I got started with writing at a very young age. Can't remember how or why I even started, because I don't come from a family of writers. One of my uncles is a sculptor, another one an architect, and a cousin is an amazing painter. I was, and still am, the only one who liked to write.

My first journal was actually made from leftover pages of a spiral notebook. At the end of the school year on the third grade, I took all the unused pages of my notebooks and wove together a makeshift new notebook to use as my journal. I never looked back.

From leftover pages to a Moleskine. What an upgrade! :)
Since then I must have filled up about thirty or forty notebooks with whatever was in me to write. Too bad a lot of them are locked up in my Bulacan home, including the creativity journal I kept in college. I never got the chance to go back and get them (along with all the photo albums of my childhood) before we lost our house.
Post-college.
But at least I still have all my journals after college. I've finished off nine since, and I'm currently on my tenth. Although I have a blog, I haven't stopped writing by hand, and I don't think I ever will. It's a tad more intimate than typing. (And I can't really write about everything online; I'm actually quite private).
This is Noemi. :)
I name my journals. If the notebook is a gift, I name it after the person who gave me the notebook. My current journal is a black Moleskine I call Noemi, after my officemate. She got it as a present from one of her suppliers a few Christmases back, but she didn't want to use it because it was unruled. She gave it to me last year, but I only got to start using it a few months back because I still had other notebooks lined up.

Some of my other gift journals were Becky (given to me for Christmas by a gay officemate, Warren), Gianina (a present from Giancarlo and Nina, my favorite graphic artists in the world), Agnes (a gift from a former consultant I worked with in SMX), and Fox (from one of my printing suppliers, Digital Fox).

The names of the journals I bought were usually based on what I was going through at the time I started using them. One is called Eli, my Mom's childhood nickname, because I got it after she passed away. Another is called Kahlil, after Lebanese poet Kahlil Gibran, because I was reading The Prophet at the time.
The fountain pen changed everything!
Keeping a journal is one of the things that kept me sane (my friends will argue that I'm not sane, though. Haha!) throughout my chaotic life. Writing on my journal is cathartic and therapeutic - a perfect break from a world of chaos. But more than the writing, it's the re-reading part that makes journals so great.

Whenever I browse through the pages of my journal, I discover things about myself. There are aspects of my personality that have changed, and some that have not, and it's great to have a document that reminds me of where I started and how far I've come. Some parts make me laugh, others make me cry, and even more make me cringe at how juvenile some of my so-called issues were.

It's reassuring to know that I've grown up, somewhat, five years after I left the protective walls of the university. I've lived through the best of times, and through the worst of times, and sometimes I find myself in utter disbelief of what I've gone through. (If I ever write an autobiography, I'll have a wealth of references at my fingertips.)

But if there's one thing I'll never grow out of, that would be keeping a diary like a young girl.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)