bargain

LT / The only Math book I ever liked

12:00:00 AM

I can't speak for all the people who took the same major I did, but one of the reasons I chose Communication is to avoid Math. I absolutely suck at it; I had to take Basic Math before Math 11, which I barely passed. So Philibert Schogt's The Wild Numbers is an unusual choice of reading material for me.

If Math textbooks were THIS interesting...
This is a book that I got as a freebie when I bought Ira Levin's The Stepford Wives (one of those two for Php99 deals at Chapters and Pages Bookstore). It's pretty obvious that I have trouble resisting cheap stuff, especially if they're clothes, books, and wines! Haha!

Unlike with music, I'm actually not very picky with my literature; I try to give writers a chance because I am an aspiring writer, too, and I know how difficult it could be to put your work out there for people to read and openly criticize (or critique, if you wish). I know that writing is not always easy so I try to cut other writers some slack. Besides, I'm not Shakespeare. I'm not even Lakambini Sitoy.

So yeah, I gave this book a chance, and I'm glad I did because it was a surprisingly fun read. It's light, witty, and quite the pageturner. I couldn't help but feel that this book wasn't marketed well enough. It's not Shakespeare, but it's definitely more deserving of a spot on the New York Times Bestseller List than Twilight.

(Segue: I gave the Twilight Saga a chance. My friend loaned me a copy of the first book and I actually finished it. I even watched the first movie. But the novel and the film adaptation was so bad that I just couldn't bring myself to read or watch the second installment. Stephenie Meyer is no J.K. Rowling, I tell you. She's just popular because she didn't write off Cedric Diggory. Haha!)

It centers around a fictional mathematical problem that has been unsolved for centuries. The main protagonist suddenly stumbles upon a solution, and then things just spiral out of control. His quiet, boring life is turned upside down right before his eyes, and the journey is actually quite hilarious.

This is a satisfying read, even for people who have absolutely no mathematical talents, I promise. Give it a shot. :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

2 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)