blog

FTF / Conman

12:00:00 AM

Back in college, I often visited my friend (and now roommate) Pauline in her place in Manila. We were high school classmates. I went to Ateneo to earn my degree in Communication, while she took up Architecture in the University of Santo Tomas. Whenever I did, we'd usually just hang out at her place and catch up over a drink or two, and her mom's fabulous cooking. But one time was very, very different.


She asked for help in proofreading her thesis, and I said yes. At that time, I was unemployed, so I really didn't have anything better to do. We were working in her place, but she had to go to school to submit some other requirements. Only students and faculty members are allowed inside buildings. I didn't want to be left alone in her place, so I posed as a student. 
Role play
I wore her uniform, and I even put a lanyard (without an actual ID) on my neck for good measure. It wasn't my first time to put on a uniform (I wore those things from pre-school all the way to the end of high school), but it was definitely the first time I wore one that wasn't mine, and one that was issued by a school I never attended.

That was also the first (and only) time I had to pose as someone else to gain entry to an institution. The guards were very strict, which left me no choice but to con my way in. I'm no Frank Abagnale, Jr. or Neal Caffrey, so I was a bit scared that I might get caught. 

Although the con was a tad too easy, I must say it was surprisingly exhilarating! We waited for a small crowd of people to enter the building, and we joined them to make it easier for me to slip in. My heart was racing while I was in line to pass through security, but I got through. When I was finally in the clear, I remember letting out a big sigh of relief.

P.S. I didn't cause any trouble, I promise! I just sat in to observe someone defend her thesis, which didn't go too well, by the way - the panel actually asked her, "Is there a reason you should pass the deliberations?" Poor girl; I felt so bad for her! But as a casual observer, I could tell she had no idea what she was saying, so if I were part of the panel, I'd probably ask her the same question.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)