blog

HFT / Altitude run

12:00:00 AM

When it was decided that my friends and I were going to Baguio for a weekend last November, Hannah messaged me (in capital letters, no less) that we have to run. Since we're both gearing up for our first 10K at the 2013 Condura Skyway Marathon, we needed all the training we could get. So I packed my trusty running shoes and drove off to the City of Pines.

My eyes make me look like I'm on Paranormal Activity.
While we were walking along Session Road, I saw a booth for a running event organized by students from St. Louis University. Without thinking twice, I grabbed Hannah and we both signed up. Running was part of our Baguio plan anyway, so we figured we'd make it official by joining. We each paid Php350 to run in the 5K category on Sunday morning, before we head back to Manila.
On a whim.
Shoelace situation
I'm no stranger to altitude training and how tough it is. Baguio is not Mount Everest, I know, but running at 1,600 meters above sea level without much time for proper acclimatization is not a joke. The cold weather didn't really help much. And neither did the seemingly unlimited uphill climbs. It took me a little over 40 minutes to reach the finish line. It wasn't my best performance, but it's not bad at all, given the conditions.
Manual time records! Cute!
Man rocks technicolor leggings! :)
(Dorky segue: Atmospheric pressure decreases as you go higher, so the partial pressure of oxygen decreases as well. Elite athletes undergo altitude training to improve their performance in low land. The principle is that if their bodies can get used to the relative lack of oxygen in high altitudes, then they can perform much better when they compete in the optimal condition, which is at sea level.)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)