blog

HFT / Quitting part trois

12:00:00 AM

My friend Dianne told me that it takes 21 days to build or to unlearn a habit. I've been smoke-free since Monday, January 14, 2013, so as of today, I'm only five days short of kicking the smoking habit for good. If you've been following this blog, you'll know that quitting smoking has been quite the struggle for me. The first attempt was about a year ago, after the 2012 Condura Skyway Marathon. I succeeded for a bit, but I just fell right back into it. I tried again last August, but I failed that, too.

I can say NO now.
(photo from the internet)
In my Tuesday post from two weeks ago, I mentioned that I've significantly reduced my consumption from an average of five to seven sticks a day to a maximum of sticks per week, and I did it without thinking that I was really going to quit. I actually caught the flu last November, and I couldn't smoke even if I wanted to because every puff literally hurts my throat. I still wanted to smoke, but I decided to put it off until I got better. But the thing is, I stayed sick for three whole weeks. In hindsight, I think my body went into a full withdrawal after the first week of not smoking, and that's why I stayed sick.

By the time I got better, I was no longer looking for cigarettes. I went to Baguio with friends, and through two days of biting cold, I only had three cigarettes, none of which I actually finished. I lit them up so I can hold them in my hand while talking to my friend and office smoking buddy, Luckie, but I must have taken not more than five puffs of each. I said no more times than I said yes. It was then that I decided to try quitting again. Obviously, it's good for my overall health. And it's good for my wallet, too - cigarettes do cost money. The same money may be spent on books and travel and wine instead.

I guess the difference with this attempt to quit is the 'non-attempt.' Getting sick (which I really hate) proved to be good for me in the long run, because I was forced to stop. I wanted to smoke, and I let myself want it, but I opted not to give in until I was 100% flu-free. By the time I could smoke again, I no longer crave for it, even after a very big meal or when I'm in the middle of stressful situations (like I used to). I can't even stand the smell of cigarettes anymore, whether they're lit or unlit! Amazing, eh? :)

My current motivation for not smoking is the upcoming 2013 Condura Skyway Marathon. Five more days to kick the habit - I know I can do this! :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)