advice

Life rule #1 / Do not work

12:00:00 AM

Adrian Tan gave a commencement speech called “Life and How To Survive It” to a graduating class in the National University of Singapore. My friend Pauline gave me a copy of his speech, and it got me to re-think my life and my priorities. He gave four rules:

1. Do not work.
2. Avoid telling the truth.
3. Be hated.
4. Love someone.

As the title implies, this is about the first rule.

Work kills
(photo from the internet)
For two and a half years, I worked as a Marketing Communications Officer for a Filipino-Chinese company that has a reputation of working people to the bone. I thought that it was the perfect job for me at that time, even if I had to come in on Saturdays.

However, after my mother passed away last October (2010), everything changed for me. The job ate up so much of my life, and although I liked what I was doing, it became work, and it killed slowly killed me. Now, I want my life back, and I have set out to get it. I started by resigning.
Good advice
(image from the internet)
I moved to Plantersbank, where I stayed for a mere few months before I finally got to Selecta. Mind you, I still consider this a 'job.' It's still work, and there are days when I feel overwhelmed. There are times that I explore other possible opportunities. Despite that, I'm still okay here for the most part because I get to write.

Officially, a bit - news features for the newsletter. But unofficially, a lot (so basically, my job is making my passion possible - it's hard to write on an empty stomach). I get to blog. I get to fill the pages of my personal journal. I get to write songs. I get to write poetry. I get to write stories. I can't quite claim that I'm good at writing, but I definitely, definitely love doing it. I have fun writing.

And to be fair to myself, there have been times that I got paid for my passion, too. I've done freelance writing for three different companies already, and I'm happy to note that I got paid pretty well for a beginner. Hopefully, the projects pile in so I won't have to work anymore - I'll just have to keep playing. :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

2 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)