bargain

LT / Adult fairy tales

12:00:00 AM

My college friend Tim was the first person who ever talked to me about Neil Gaiman. I'll admit, I had no idea who he was. I grew up in the province, so I didn't really have a lot of access to good books. We didn't have Fully Booked there. Heck, we didn't even have National Bookstore there when I was a kid!

Anyhow, Tim lent me his copy of Smoke and Mirrors, a collection of short stories. I read it overnight, but I gave it back to him after a month because I re-read it twice. It was that good. I'm usually into novels; I find stories very short. But I guess I just haven't been reading the right stories until Gaiman.

Not my favorite color, but it's okay. 
My favorite story is titled Holy Grail. It's a wonderful adult fairy tale. An elderly woman finds the Holy Grail in a thrift shop and buys it, and that sets off an interesting chain of events. It's beautifully written, and the ending is superb. The rest of the book is great, too - even the introduction!
Three generations of ownership.
Another thing I love about this book is the three generations of ownership. I bought it from one of my college professors, Egay Samar, who also happens to be an awesome writer. He was moving from one apartment to another, so he sold most of his books. He posted the list on his LiveJournal account, and when I saw Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman, I called him to reserve it!

This was on my college senior year by the way, and I've re-read the book six (or maybe seven) times since. And when I saw the name of the person who owned it before he did, I wondered how the book ended up in his hands. Maybe she sold it to my professor. Or maybe Sir Egay found this in a thrift shop, right beside Aladdin's lamp.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)