birthday

LT / For the budding writer

12:00:00 AM

In December 2004, my friend Edsel gave me my favorite present that year - his old copy of Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet. My love for Kahlil Gibran started in high school, actually, but I never had my own book. I can't remember who lent me a copy back then, but I devoured it with much gusto.

Eerie
Thank you, Eggshell! (Edsel)
For a couple of years, I actually wrote poetry under the pseudonym Kahlil. My works at the time were not at all based on Gibran's masterpiece, but that does not mean I shouldn't credit him. After all, it was after reading his book that I grew more introspective. I daresay The Prophet made me more of a writer.

The prophet is named Almustafa. He lived in a foreign city for 12 years, and just as he was about to board a ship that will take him home, he encounters a group of people with whom he engages in lenghty discussions.

Each chapter dealt with various topics such as love, reason, freedom, passion, self-knowledge, death, good and evil, and plenty more. The writing was not preachy; it was actually very contemplative. It equipped me to reflect, to think critically, to not take everything at face value.

The Prophet is one of the two books I'd recommend to budding writers. The other is Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke, but I'll write about that another time. :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)