blog

LT / Refusing to grow up

12:00:00 AM

Whenever people ask me for inspirational titles, I would never recommend the works of Malcolm Gladwell or John Maxwell. Don't get me wrong - both writers are great, and their books are truly motivational, but I think they're not exactly inspirational. I think that motivation is something that keeps you going, but it's inspiration that gets you started.
Inspiration.
And since I'm not particularly religious, I will not tell anyone to read the Bible or other Christian books. Again, don't get me wrong - I believe in God with all my heart and mind, but I don't think he can be found in books (I find him in nature). So when I'm asked for an inspirational book, I tell people to read Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince.

Some might argue that it's not particularly inspiring, and I'm not going to try to sway people into thinking that it is. After all, the book is quite sad. Short as it is, The Little Prince is quite the heavy read, and it manages to bring me to tears every time I read it. This is just my perspective. This book is a source of inspiration for me because it reminds me that we have to look at everything through the eyes of a child. 

My favorite quote from the book is this: "One sees clearly only with the heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye." A child sees things as they are; they are able to see beyond pretensions and motives. A child does not judge. A child is open to everything, and because of that, he or she sees beauty and truth. A child simplifies and never complicates. 

I read from somewhere that growing old is mandatory, but growing up is not. While I think that some of my life experiences have forced me to grow up, a part of me still chooses to remain a child. This small part will forever refuse to succumb to the ease of cynicism. It will forever insist on being idealistic. It will forever remain young and clueless.

Young and clueless, but truly wise at the same time. 

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)