blog

MW / Listening with six senses

12:00:00 AM

When you hang out in Cyrano, you meet all sorts of people with varying tastes in music and wine. On New Year's Eve, Peter the Scotsman from Scotland spent time at the shop before midnight for a bottle of Fat Bastard Chardonnay, and together we listened to the Russian National Anthem, and then Jascha Heifetz' Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto. And after Allegro Moderato, I was hooked.

Like a Sir.
(photo from the internet)
Back in high school, I'd actually play my compilation of classical music for when I'm doing my leisurely reading (studying for exams is a different story altogether), and the characters in my books came alive with the score provided by Bach, Beethoven, and my personal favorite, Chopin. Although I'm not the biggest fan of classical music, I'm not one of those people who would fall asleep listening to it. But that's all it was then - background music for my reading. It's only now that I find myself unable to multitask.

Tchaikovsky is more than just background music for my reading. It asks me to sit and listen not just with my ears, but with all six (yes, six) senses. Hauntingly beautiful, the sound evokes in the listener a range of emotions from depths unexplored. For music without words, I have to agree with Peter the Scotsman from Scotland that Tchaikovsky's is the most emotional there is. (And as with all the good things in life, it is best enjoyed with a glass of wine.)

After New Year's Eve, I searched for listening links of Pyotr Ilych Tchaikovsky's works, some of which I have already downloaded. I also researched a bit about the Russian composer's life, which was dotted with personal crises, as well as bouts with depression. Don't worry - I'm not going to bore you with a history lesson. But reading up about his personal life just further solidified my theory that the greatest artists are the most tormented ones as well, and it is their pain that makes their work all the more beautiful.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)