blog

MW / Rockin' with a glass of wine

12:00:00 AM

Part of my job is to run errands for my boss, one of which brought me to Makati on a Wednesday afternoon. Since it was already too late to go back to the office, I decided to hang out for a bit in Plantersbank before walking over to Cyrano for my after-work wine fix.

Alex actually messaged me the day before to invite me and my friends to catch Nino Alejandro's gig at the shop. Although I knew of his family (cousin Rachel and uncle Hajji are popular musicians in the Philippines), I didn't really know him so I didn't know what to expect that evening.

At Cyrano
As I walked from one side of Makati (Salcedo Village) to the other (Legaspi Village), I listened to the rock playlist on my iPod. It was a 15-minute walk that gave me a window for a mere three songs, and one of the tracks that played was "We All Die Young" from the soundtrack of the movie Rockstar. I love that song. It's one of those songs I could listen to all day and not get tired of.

So I guess you can imagine how thrilled I was when Nino started playing it! "We All Die Young" is a very difficult song to sing, and he sang it while playing the guitar. And there was one time he showed up at Cyrano with a 12-string acoustic guitar. Yes, twelve - twice the usual number of strings. So yeah, Nino's quite a badass.

His repertoire is a mix of rock classics with a few pop hits here and there, plus his original songs. I especially love that he covers Mr. Big songs! He told me that he bought a front-row seat for the band's concert in Manila back in 2010, and that made me so jealous because I had to settle for an upper box seat! Haha!

Listening to Nino on Wednesdays takes me back to my college days, when I'd regularly watch rock gigs. There are two main differences, though. First, Nino plays an acoustic set, so in a way, I get a more 'tamed' version of rock music. Haha! And two, instead of a bottle of beer, I have a glass of wine in my hand.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)