blog

LT / Full circle

12:00:00 AM

My friend and roommate (and architect of my future home) Pauline knows that I am a bookworm, and for Christmas in 2012, she bought me One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. She said she bought this because she saw in my old shelf that I had Love in the Time of Cholera, and Memories of My Melancholy Whores, which were also penned by the same author.

Epic
One Hundred Years of Solitude is nothing short of a masterpiece, and I am of the opinion that this should be required reading for students all over the world. It tells the story of the seven generations of the Buendia Family, starting with patriarch Jose Arcadio Buendia. It's a beautiful and enthralling story that plays with themes of fate, fortune and misfortune, war and peace, religion and customs, love and passion, and even alchemy. It's a wonderfully-woven tale that crosses the boundaries of realism and fantasy. And I love how everything comes full circle in the end.

I don't know about other people, but this book was not an easy read for me because the narration does not follow a clear timeline. It jumps from one generation to the other, and although the transitions were seamless, I found it a bit difficult to keep up because of the characters' similar names. This is definitely not the kind of book you'd finish in one sitting, nor is it the type you can read without full focus. Aside from the non-linear narrations, this novel is loaded with metaphors, vivid imagery, and compelling events that could take a while to be digested. A friend actually used the word whimsical to describe it, and I agree with him.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)