blog

LT / Joke's on you

12:00:00 AM

If you've been reading this blog, then you would know that my favorite author of all time is Franco-Czech novelist Milan Kundera. I have pledged my eternal love for him and his works. My favorite book is actually his most popular one, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, which I re-read at least once a year since college. But he has more to offer than the novel that put him on the map.

The Joke was originally published in 1967 in Czechoslovakia. The version that I have is the fifth English-language version - the one that Kundera, himself, finally did his book justice (he actually had a hand in this translation). It's easy to dismiss this work as a political novel, which is probably why the earlier translations have been re-constructed so much that the author felt it was not the same thing he wrote.

Joke's on you
Anyhow, I'm not going to try to write a synopsis. Truth be told, the chain of events could be told in five sentences or less. It is Kundera's discussion that breathes life into these seemingly mundane occurrences. As such, it would be unfair to the author, to the work, and even to the future reader if I oversimplify it by means of a summary.

In a way, yes, it is a political novel; it makes the reader a voyeur into the world of a Communist regime. But the book should be read for more than its political implications. It could be described as a comedy that talks about eternal themes of human existence - love, pride, loyalty, and revenge. This book is worth anyone's time.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)