advice

HFT / Airhead

12:00:00 AM

Exercise and proper diet keep one healthy, but some people neglect their brains. And I mean brains both in the physiological and in the psychological sense. Contrary to what people say, it's actually good to have air in your head. Haha! Seriously, now, your brain needs oxygenated air to function, and the more oxygen it gets, the better it works.

Matter.
(photo from the internet)
Since the invention of computers, humans have been expected to accomplish twice as much, which then forces us to multitask. I read from somewhere that the human mind is not built to focus on more than one task at a time. Sadly, though, to accomplish what is expected of us, we have to resort to juggling at least two things at once, and this has a toll on our brains and on our minds, and sometimes, the stress manifests on our bodies, as well.

That being said, I think that what we all need is a few minutes every day to meditate. It's a lot like exercise and proper diet, but it's specifically targeted for your brain and for your mind. Your brain needs oxygen to function, so you have to supply it with that. Your mind needs to be cleansed, too. In the same way that exercise makes you sweat out toxins in your system, meditation purges your mind of impurities.
Ommmm
(photo from the internet)
Find the quietest room in your house. If you have a yoga mat, or a carpet, sit on that; I don't recommend sitting on a soft chair or on your bed because you might fall asleep before the session is over. Start by closing your eyes and taking slow, deep breaths. As you breathe, allow your body to relax.

When you're sufficiently calm, stop thinking completely. Empty your mind of all thoughts, starting with the bad. Allow yourself to temporarily forget the things you're worried about. Ignore all distractions. Just focus on relaxing your mind, nothing more, nothing less.

Think about it this way: even mechanical machines need to rest, so there's no reason why your brain, which is the most incredible machine there is, should not. I know it sounds easier than it actually is, especially if you're always on-the-go. But the busier you are, the more you need to meditate. This will help you function better, I promise.

Just to be transparent, I didn't succeed on my first try, so don't pressure yourself. That will just defeat the purpose of meditation. It took me about five sessions to finally get it right, but on days that are particularly stressful, I will admit that I still struggle to empty my mind.

But when I succeed in doing so, I feel a thousand times more relaxed than I do after an awesome massage, or even a good night's rest. And coming from me, that says a lot.

P.S. I'd like to thank my friend Jerry for the idea for this post.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

2 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)