blog

HFT / Happy people don't shoot their husbands

12:00:00 AM

When I was a high school senior, I got hooked on the film Legally Blonde, which starred Academy-Award winner Reese Witherspoon as Elle Woods, a lovestruck young woman who goes to Harvard Law to run after the love of her life. It's an incredibly shallow film, but it appealed to me because at that time, I was seriously considering becoming a lawyer.

Elle interns in a big-time firm, and her first case is the murder trial against an exercise magnate named Brooke, who is accused of shooting her husband in cold blood. In one of their meetings, Elle says, "I just don't think Brooke could have done this. Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands. They just don't."

That brings me to the point of this post. I'm certain everyone will agree with me when I say that exercise has a lot of benefits. There are the obvious benefits of weight gain or loss (whichever it is you're gunning for), better overall health, and improved posture. But exercise gives you more than that.

Run and be happy
Exercise can make you happy the same way ice cream can, but without the unwanted calories. When you exercise, your pituitary gland produces endorphins, a chemical compound that functions as a neurotransmitter. It induces a general feeling of well-being, and if you push yourself further, you may even experience euphoria.

I mentioned in a previous post that from late November to early January, I completely stopped running, and I didn't look for another form of exercise to compensate. During this time, I was not only sickly, I was unhappy. Although I was still far from being clinically depressed, it was still not a good time for me.

But because I had to get ready for the 2013 Condura Skyway Marathon, I forced myself to start running again. It's amazing how great I felt after my 30-minute workout! It's almost as if I never even stopped; my body welcomed the challenge, and even the subsequent pain. And just like that, I was back to my normal, happy self.

So here's a tip: the next time you're depressed, exercise. Dust off those running shoes and go for a nice, long run. Or dig out that one-piece from the depths of your closet and go for an intense swim. Or take that bicycle out of the garage and go for a ride. Or buy yourself a pair of cross-trainers and hit the gym.

Tire yourself out, and then let the endorphins take over.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)