blog

LT / Curiouser and curiouser

12:00:00 AM

Embarrassing as this may sound, I've only read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass recently! I've seen the Disney cartoon adaptation, as well as the Tim Burton re-imagination, but I haven't read the book upon which they were based. Although I've been reading since I was very young, I actually missed out on a lot of the classics. I'm still trying to catch up, which is a bit difficult when there's just so many great new books out there waiting to be read!

Curiouser and curiouser
Anyhow, I got my copy of the book from Books for Less in SM Marikina. I went there to accompany my friend Hannah, who wanted to get a haircut. While waiting, I walked over to the book shop, and I got this on the buy one, take one rack, my take one being Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, and I paid a measly Php150 for both titles! And the copy I got has illustrations, too! How cool is that?

It took me a while to finish this book because I didn't really have a lot of time to read, what with work and other projects I took on. I brought this with me when I attended the Selecta Sales Conference in the Manila Marriott Hotel, and I actually read a couple of chapters while soaked in the tub! I used to do that in our Bulacan home every weekend; there's nothing like a good book with a warm bath.
The Good Life
Now I know why this book is a classic. I read this book as an adult, but it managed to transport me back to my childhood. It's as if someone handed me a key to unlock the greater part of my imagination, which was shoved to my subconscious in the process of growing up. I'm certain I would have loved this book as a child, and if I could re-do my childhood, I would get myself a copy of this book and read it.

It's the wordplay that really appealed to me. I am a pun person, so this book was just absolutely divine by my standards. The descriptions of the characters and their world are so vivid and detailed that you can practically see it in your mind's eye as you flip through the pages. Few books have that power, and this is definitely on top of my list right now.

If you haven't read this book, then I beg you to grab a copy and start immediately. We all need to be young, and reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass are definitely the books to do that with.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)