blog

LT / A reaction

12:00:00 AM

Early last year, I stumbled upon a blog post called Date A Girl Who Reads, which was written by Rosemarie Urquico as a response to You Should Date An Illiterate Girl, another blog post penned by Charles Warnke. This is a reaction to the former.

It's a nicely-written post, but I have to say it's a bit extreme, and in some parts, quite inaccurate. I'm a girl who reads. But I still buy clothes; I just do so from the ukay-ukay in order to have enough money left for books, which I also buy pre-loved from book sales. I'm that weirdo who smells the yellowed pages of old hardcovers, who looks for notes from the previous owner/s.

Engrossed.
(photo from the internet)
I had my first library card at age six, when I hit the first grade. I have a long list of books I'd like to read, and I hate that I never have enough time to finish them all. Although I don't always have an unread book in my bag, I have four beside my bed. I don't read in coffee shops because I don't like to be interrupted, so no, I don't need a guy to buy me coffee.

Sometimes, I'd lose sleep over a book. At 2am, I promise myself to stop at the end of the chapter only to keep reading until the first rays of the sun start piercing the night sky, and then I'd be cursing at myself for being so unwise (I'd go to work feeling, and looking like a zombie). I can't count the number of times I cried over a character's heartbreak as if it were my own.
Hoarding.
(photo from the internet)
Books are always good gifts for me. I jump up and down whenever I receive one as a present for my birthday or for Christmas. I never got a bad book (and I hope I never will), because my friends know me well enough to either get the right novels, or to call me and ask me which titles I'm currently pining for.

I have girl friends who don't read much, but I think they're great dates and partners because what they lack in reading, they make up for in life experiences. They don't randomly quote Austen, but they will tell you where it's good to eat or where it's nice to travel at this time of the year. They go out more, meet more people, see more places. The world is their book, and they devour each page with much gusto.

There's more to me than my being a reader or a writer, and some parts of the article are quite patronizing. I don't like the part where she says that a guy who will give monotony to the girl who reads is better off alone. I think it's incredibly unfair. I've met my share of men, some good, others not so much. But there are great men who won't propose on hot air balloons or rock concerts. Men who won't write your life story, who won't agree to giving the kids strange names from obscure literature, but will take care of you and your children in the way they know best.

So I guess I'm trying to say two things here. One, do not put people in boxes. And two, date whoever you want to date. Find the one person you get along with, you have fun with, and enjoy. There's more to talk about than books. The world out there is huge, and it gets even bigger if you let yourself see it through someone else's eyes.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)