advice

LT / Rome wasn't built in a day

12:00:00 AM

If there is one statement in Milan Kundera's novel, Slowness, that struck me, it's this: The degree of slowness is directly proportional to the intensity of memory; the degree of speed is directly proportional to the intensity of forgetting.

I am a full-time corporate slave, and I also take on side projects, for additional income or for the love or just because I want to do it. In my rush to finish things, I sometimes arrive at the end without really knowing how I got there. Or even if I knew, I didn't appreciate the process, so I won't really have much recollection of the incredible details in between.

When you eat fast, all you really do is bite, chew, and then swallow. You're satiated when you're done, but when you think back, you realize you didn't really taste anything in your haste. It's almost as if you're in autopilot; you get the job done, but you no longer engage your senses in the process.

Be still
This book is a great reminder that sometimes, I need to slow down. Heck, we all need to slow down every now and then. We're all in such a hurry to achieve results, to get things over with. We're all in a rush to move forward with our lives that we forget to live it.

It's ironic that we all strive to get our hands on all the good things life has to offer yet we neglect to enjoy them. We forget that there's a big difference between pursuing pleasure and actually feeling it.

There are 20 million ways do get one thing done, and we're all trained to look for the easiest, fastest, and most efficient way to achieve the desired result. But in our quest to spare ourselves from hassles, from the agony of waiting as we run after our future, we forget the now.

And the faster we go, the more we forget. The more focused we are to the end, the less we see the now. My ex-boyfriend had a statement shirt that says 'haste makes waste,' and every time he wore it, I'd be reminded of the memories I don't have because I was too busy running after something.

I often forget to pause, to look around, and to take everything in. And this reduces the value of our experiences. From being memories that we're supposed to enjoy and/or learn a thing or two from, our experiences become nothing more than a mere succession of events that we go through to get somewhere.

So I guess what I'm saying is, stop and smell the roses. Take one step at a time, and embrace the fact that not everything can be accomplished at once. If the process takes more time than it should, let it. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

2 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)