blog

MW / Shelby Lynne

12:00:00 AM

I don't really listen to country music, except of course, for The Eagles. But if there's one thing that I like about country singers, it's their control of their vocal faculties. Carrie Underwood covered Skid Row's I Remember You in one of her concerts, and it was absolutely divine. If she wanted to, I think she could easily cross over to rock.

And speaking of crossing over, a beautiful country artist named Shelby Lynne. In 2008, she released Just A Little Lovin', a tribute album to British musician Dusty Springfield. One of the songs she covered was I Only Wanna Be With You. My friend Alex made me listen to it when we were thinking of songs that I could sing if and when I do get to sing in Cyrano, and I instantly fell in love with her.

Shelby Lynne
There's something about her voice that immediately appealed to me, and that something is pain. Please forgive my obsession with that emotion/sensation. I know I've written quite a lot on the correlation between pain and great music already. But for some reason, I'm able to hear it in voices, even when I'm not high, haha! I Googled her, and I learned that she went through a really traumatic youth - she saw her father kill her mother, and then himself. I can somewhat relate to that.

Alex gave me a copy of the tribute album, and I loved every single track. The Look of Love is one overly-used jazz track, but she breathed new life into it.  It's always easy to sing someone else's song, but she made it her own, and I respect that. And if we factor in that she's a country singer and not a jazz siren, it just blows my mind all over again.

Her voice has an incredibly soothing quality. That's something I value more than power or technique, which are things you can learn. Your voice is something you're born with, and Shelby Lynne is definitely luckier than most.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)