birthday

FTF / Bucket list update, item #3

12:00:00 AM

On my 26th birthday, I put together a list of 27 things I'd like to do and/or accomplish before I turn 27, and one of the items there is to try 27 new wines. I wrote about this new-found love for elitist liquor a few months back, so when I was drafting my bucket list, it was one of the first things that came to mind.

I had no idea it was going to be so easy. After all, wine is not always cheap, especially the really good ones. it's only been a few months since my birthday, and I've already managed to try 37 new wines - so that's 37 firsts in one post! I must say, it definitely helps that I have friends who share my love for fermented grapes.

Below is the list of wines I've tried so far. The ones that I recommend are in boldface.

1. Bodegas Santa Ana Reserve Malbec 2010, Argentina
-Bought myself a bottle from Titania Wine Cellar. I opened it at home to quietly celebrate Ateneo's five-peat in the UAAP Men's Basketball Championships.

Too good to ignore. 
2. Bodegas Ramon Roqueta Tempranillo 2010, Spain
-Shared a bottle with two of my college friends, Bianca and Martin, in Barcino Greenbelt 1.

3. Mapu Sauvignon Blanc Chardonnay 2011, Chile
-Bought a bottle from Titania Wine Cellar. It's the Chilean wine house of French brand Baron Philippe de Rothschild. I opened it at home to share with my roommate, Pauline.
A mix of old and new
4. Casillero del Diablo Pinot Noir 2011, Chile
-Bought myself a bottle from Shopwise. I opened it at home to go with my steak dinner and White Collar marathon.
You can't go wrong with anything from Vina Concha Y Toro.
5. Great Tail Semillon Chardonnay 2009, Australia
-Tried a glass at Ma Maison with Janel and Danna. It wasn't stored properly so it wasn't very good.

6. Clubs Des Sommelier Bordeaux 2009, France
-I am starting to believe that there's no such thing as good but cheap Bordeaux. So I'm never buying another bottle of this. I'd rather save up for a Chateau Margaux. Yes, that's what you call dreaming big!

7. Il Roccolo Riesling, Italy
-Bought a bottle from Galileo Enoteca + Deli. I opened it at the boarding house and shared it with my roommates, Joy and Viel. Quite good, but a tad too light for my taste.
Light.
8. Mont Gras Reserva Carmenere 2011, Chile
-Drank three glasses when my friends and I went to Baguio last November. My friend Luckie's Uncle Luis opened a bottle for us when we visited him, and he even had three cheeses served for us! Good times!

9. Hardy's Riesling Gewurtztraminer 2011, Australia
-Tried a glass at Italianni's, when I had dinner with my baby brother Kim and his lovely girlfriend, Glaiza. It was okay, but the next time I'm in that restaurant, I'll just go for Anakena.

10. Santa Carolina Merlot 2009, Chile
-Stole a bottle from my cousin Sydney's home, for when I moved in to the new condo. It's average.

11. Luna di Luna Merlot Cabernet 2011, Italy
-Drank seven glasses at my boss's house in Peninsula de Punta Fuego. I ended up puking after the last glass, though. John, if you're reading this, please know I'm really sorry.
By the beach. 
12. Solea Merlot 2011, Italy
-House wine of Cyrano. Tried a glass the first time I walked in.

13. Fat Bastard Chardonnay, France
-Tried a glass at Cyrano, when one of the owners, JoCo, decided to buy a couple of bottles for everyone. This was also my last glass of wine for 2012, courtesy of Peter the Scotsman from Scotland.
Because the bastard is fat.
14. Pacific Peak Cabernet Sauvignon, USA
-Shared a bottle with Corinne on our first Cyrano date! Paired with Chef Beng's incredible osso buco.

15. Domaine de la Tuilerie Celebration Viognier 2009, France
-Tried a glass when I joined Alex's family for Christmas at the Shire. It's not bad, but it would have been better if the glasses didn't smell of wood varnish.

16. Domaine Mandeville Charonnay 2011, France
-Bought a small bottle from Marks & Spencer in Eastwood. I love that they use heavy-duty PET bottles! And the wine was quite good, too!
Marks & Spencer offers cheap but good wines. 
17. Baron Philippe de Rothschild Maipo Reserva Carmenere 2010, Chile
-JoCo bought our group a bottle to celebrate my birthday! I'm really starting to grow fond of this kind of wine!

18. Trio Rojo Gran Reserva Syrah-Tempranillo-Cabernet 2004, Spain
-Because one bottle is not enough, JoCo had the barkeep, Fiona, open us another bottle! This isn't bad, but I still prefer #17.
Thank you JoCo! :)
19. Farnese Sangiovese 2011, Italy
-Brought by Jay, a Cyrano friend, when we had carbonara night at the shop. He bought it from Santi's at a mere Php600++, and it's surprisingly good!

20. Santa Carolina Gran Vino Sauvignon Blanc 2010, Chile
-Also stolen from my cousin Sydney's house. I'm not sure if the wine was bad, or if it just wasn't stored properly. Either way, I kind of wish I stole something else, like the brandy.

21. Chateau La Gordonne Rose 2009, France
-Pauline bought a bottle we could share on the first night we were officially settled in the condo. This was accompanied by a nice three-cheese spread with crackers and jam.
How very French
22. La Umbra Pinot Noir 2011, Romania
-Tried a few sips in Cyrano on the night that I brought my friend Jerry there. It's a full-bodied wine that made me crave for steak after.

23. Santa Luz Cabernet Sauvignon 2011, Chile
-Tried a glass in this place called Homey's Cafe in Legaspi Village, Makati City, after a nice, long run, while Jerry had his usual Cerveza Negra. The wine is cheap but surprisingly good!

24. Farnese Montepulciano D'Abruzzo 2010, Italy
-Bought a bottle from Santi's for the moonlit picnic with Vida, Lanie, and Alex at the Manila Polo Club, and another for a meeting with my sideline project team, and another for the condo. Awesome when paired with Reypenaer one-year-old cheese.
The good life
25. Errazuriz Estate Reserva Chardonnay 2010, Chile
-This brand is known for great-tasting wines that are priced reasonably. Bought a bottle from Robinson's Supermarket in Eastwood, and shared with Pauline and J-Sio at the condo.

26. William Fevre Gran Cuvee Pinot Noir 2011, Chile
-Lanie and Alex brought us a bottle when they visited me at the condo after the 2013 Condura Skyway Marathon.

27. Txomin Etxaniz Getaria White Wine 2011, Spain
-Also brought by Lanie and Alex, the same night they brought #26. Both bottles were purchased from Terry's in Salcedo Village.

28. Albert Bichot Mercurey Burgundy 2010, France
-Popped open a bottle at my friend Jerry's condo to celebrate finishing 10K (me) and 21K (him) at the 2013 Condura Skyway Marathon! Paired with proscuitto (parma ham) and gruyere.

29. Casillero del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon 2011, Chile
-Bought a bottle a few months back to share with Pauline, which I did. J-Sio had his share, as well. This is one of the more famous value brands under Vina Concha Y Toro.

30. Kaesler Barossa Valley Viognier 2009, Australia
-Tried a glass at Cyrano, when Lanie handed me what was supposedly her friend's glass.

31. Barton & Guestior Cuvee Speciale Vin Rouge, France
-Tried a glass at my friend Glaiza's Bulacan home. Her father popped open a bottle for us when we shot our short film there.

32. Piccini Bianco Toscana 2009, Italy
-Bought a bottle from Shopwise for the condo. It's really good wine that perfectly complemented our three-cheese carbonara (pecorino, cream cheese, and parmesan). This is quite potent - I got tipsy after a few sips. Or I was just really tired that day.

33. Finca Filchman Misterio Malbec 2010, Argentina
-Bought a bottle from Santi's for the condo. Shared it with Pauline and J-Sio, and we had waffles and cheese with it! Haha!

34. Il Poggio dei Vigneti Montepulciano D'Abruzzo 2010, Italy
-Bought a bottle from Galileo Enoteca + Deli for wine night with my friend Jerry. It was a little too light for my taste, but it wasn't bad at all.

35. Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi Merlot 2011, USA
-Bought a bottle from Shopwise because my friend, Jerry, recommended it. Opened it to celebrate Pauline's 26th birthday at the condo with J-Sio and Kresa.
Recommended by Jerry
36. Marks & Spencer House Wine White, France
-Bought a bottle from (where else?) Marks & Spencer across the condo for my brother and his friend. At a measly Php295, it wasn't so bad!

37. Rucio Tempranillo 2010, Spain
-Had a glass at Whistlestop with Jerry and AR (the male Isay, scary!), after several rounds of drinks at Bugsy's Salcedo. I guess there's not enough alcohol in the universe to satisfy the likes of us. Haha!

38. Simon Pemberton Pearce Shiraz Sangiovese 2004, Australia
-Just tasted a small amount from JeCo's bottle in Cyrano. Haha! I liked it a lot! :)

39. Georges Duboeuf Cuvee Rouge Vin de Table Francais Rouge, France
-Had a glass at my friend Jerry's house on Good Friday, right after brunch. It's actually quite good for a cheap brand; it's perfect for low-budget parties.

I still have nine more months before my birthday, so I'm sure this list will just get longer! I actually have five more bottles at home, which I'm going to try in the coming days. :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)