blog

FTF / Catching up at Becky's Kitchen

12:00:00 AM

A few months back, Alex and I discussed the possibility of me singing in Cyrano. I'm more than willing to do it, but the problem is finding a guitarist. Gershwin is my go-to guy, but since he's a family man now, I really can't get a firm commitment from him for practice sessions, let alone gigs. I considered Dawn, but our schedules just don't seem to match. So I tried asking Aya Yuson.

I've written a lot about him already, so I guess there's really no need for me to introduce him anymore. Haha! I learned that in 2011, he suffered a stroke, which kept him from playing the guitar for a while. He's currently in recovery, and I'm counting the days when he could make music again. Anyway, when I asked Aya if he'd be open to a collaboration, I was pleasantly surprised that he said yes.

So we met up one afternoon to discuss the project. I was coming from an event the night before, and I woke up so late that I made him wait for two whole hours. I felt so bad about that! I don't like waiting for people, which is why I try to not make people wait for me. But I was just so exhausted that I didn't even hear my alarm! Good thing Aya is such a sweet guy; he let it slide.

We met up at the gate of Valle Verde 1, and from there we walked to this nice, cozy restaurant called Becky's Kitchen. It's located in the village Community Center (along Suha Street). The great thing about it is that even if it's only a couple of blocks away from a national highway, the place is quiet and peaceful. The restaurant is surrounded by a lot of trees.

Welcome, welcome! 
Al fresco
Since I was running late, I didn't have time for a proper breakfast. I was starving by the time I got there, so Aya and I immediately ordered. He got himself an ensaymada, which, according to him, is something the restaurant is known for. I learned that the first Becky's Kitchen is in the Manila area; I'm just not sure if the first branch is still open. I ordered a tuna sandwich, which I liked a lot.
Apparently, the shop is famous for its ensaymada.
But I had the tuna sandwich because I was so hungry.
Since I just woke up, I got my very late coffee fix here. And if there's one thing I love more than good coffee, it's good coffee served in a nice cup. And I really liked that the cream and sugar were served in matching wares! I am a Capricorn, so I think that's why I love earthen things. In the same way that I find that the same beer tastes differently in different locations, coffee just seems to taste better in a nice cup.
Pottery = Ghost
Sugar and cream
It was a great afternoon of catching up made even better by good food and coffee. Before that day, Aya and I have not seen each other in a couple of years. So much has happened since we last talked - my mother passed away, and he had a stroke. In a way, we're both on the road to recovery, and it was really nice seeing him again. :)

After Becky's Kitchen, I joined Aya and his family (his father and brother) for dinner. They made me try pinikpikan, and it was just so good! Too bad I wasn't able to take a photo of their home or the food.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

2 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)