blog

LT / A history of philosophy

12:00:00 AM

Philosophy was one of my favorite subjects in college, for two reasons. One is my first professor, John Carlo Uy, and his teaching style suited me well. He dumps a lot of readings on his students, and he can be quite tough, but he's an advocate of giving pupils the freedom to think. The other reason would be my friends, Jonar from the Sonar, and Ralph the Baron of Sealand. The three of us had a shared love for the subject, and we devoted a lot of time to our reflections.

The funny thing is that we actually had different professors, and hardly any of our readings were the same. We just loved Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being so much. But I actually wouldn't recommend that book for philosophy newbies; it's a level 8 mindf*ck. The book for a beginner would have to be Jostein Gaarder's Sophie's World. It's a novel about the history of philosophy.

Textbook
I think this is a good read for people who have not read anything by Martin Heidegger or Gabriel Marcel, who, sadly, did not make it to the book. I actually only got to read this long after my encounter with the two philosophers I just mentioned, so I will admit I kind of felt that the book was too basic. Don't get me wrong, it's a great novel, but in the attempt to cover a lot of ground, a lot of the in-betweens that really matter in philosophy got edited out.

Nevertheless, this is still a good book. I think it's perfect for young people to read: it opens one's mind to various philosophies, but at the same time keeping one believing in magic. There's a balance of intellect and imagination, so if you want to learn philosophy and not get bored, then this is the book for you.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)