blog

FTF / Coffee by the ruins

12:00:00 AM

November 2011 was a memorable month for me. I got kicked out of my storybook stepmother's house and was forced to seek refuge in my Aunt Ruth's home in Malabon for a week. Then I moved into a boarding house in Pasig, near my workplace, before finally settling in at Eastwood a month later. I didn't like the boarding house so much; it was decent, but it was dark and gloomy and it depressed me. So it was great that my friends randomly decided to go to Baguio, and they dragged me with them. 

Baguio was crazy fun! Although she's based in Manila, Hannah knew the Summer Capital like the back of her hand, and we really maximized our trip there. We went to The Mother of All Ukay-Ukays, they made me eat my vegetables at Oh My Gulay, we sang our throats off at The Chairman's KTV, we drank wine and ate cheese at our lodgings, rested our weary souls with beer at Cafe Will, and of course, we had coffee by the ruins. At Cafe By The Ruins. 
Come right in
It's a very popular place for tourists fresh off the midnight bus from Manila, because I'm told they served good breakfast. Well, we were there for post-lunch coffee, so I didn't get to sample the food (I'll just take people's word for it). But the place itself is very nice. Warm and rustic places that really appeal to me, so naturally, I fell in love with the restaurant at first sight.
A place for friendship indeed!
Even the menu felt old, partly because it is, but (I think) mostly because it's intended to feel that way. I guess when you live in a city where everything is thrown out and replaced at the first signs of wear and tear, you find it refreshing when things are preserved. Being an old soul (or so I'm told), I really have an affinity for things that encapsulate age and experience.
Ghost
The warmth of the place perfectly contrasts the cold weather, making one feel instantly at home. I appreciate how the people who built the restaurant worked with the surroundings, accentuating the poignant beauty of the ruins with all the right elements.
But there's no fire
Another reason I felt some sort of cosmic connection to this place is the ruins. I don't know about you, but I'm sometimes able to look at my life as if I'm an outsider, from a different angle (a la Harry Potter, actually). And when I looked at the ruins, my mind went into overdrive as I tried to imagine all the things that happened there, all the events it bore witness to from its unique, quiet vantage point.
The Baguio Crew!
Before I completely drifted off into the cosmos of deep thought, my friends pulled me back to reality. Coffee is served.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)