blog

HFT / My new trainer

12:00:00 AM

Since I started hanging out in Cyrano last November, I've met quite a lot of people, some of whom have become really good friends of mine. One of them is Peter the Scotsman from Scotland. In some ways, he's like a father to me, which I really appreciate considering that I'm sorting out some issues with my own father at the moment.

Peter and I talk a lot about my running goals when we're at the wine shop. He actually finished a full marathon when he was much younger, and he gave me a lot of pointers to help me get ready for the half-marathon I'm signing up for late this year, which is in my Pre-27 Bucket List. He told me that I needed to run at least 3 to 5 times a week, covering anywhere between 10 to 15K per session.

On a random Thursday evening at the wine shop, we talked about going for a run at Ayala Triangle the coming Sunday morning. That's when it became official - he wasn't just going to give me pointers for my half-marathon. He was actually going to be my trainer! Woohoo! (He said I might not like him much anymore when we're done because he's very strict. Haha!)

This is the only picture I have of Peter - he's the fourth person from the left. :)
We ran two Sundays in a row last April before he flew abroad to attend to some personal matters. And on both runs, a bad case of the side stitch forced me to cut my workout short. To address this, Peter recommended that I do daily crunches to strengthen my abdominal muscles. He also said there's something wrong with my breathing, so I had to fix that, too.

He told me that I had to start watching what I eat. Peter often reprimanded me for eating too much rice, chips, chocolates, and other convenience store goodies. He recommends lots of lean meats and fruits and vegetables. I eat healthy when I can, but I'm still learning to resist junk food. And it's not just about what I eat, but when I eat. I need to say goodbye to midnight snacks.

Aside from that, Peter told me I can't always be out late anymore. I needed eight hours of uninterrupted sleep every night to let my body recover from strenuous activity. The problem is, even when I'm not out with friends, I find it difficult to sleep. My mind kicks into overdrive past ten in the evening, and I'm overwhelmed by ideas that needed to be written down. Forcing myself to rest at the right time will be the hardest part of my training.

Swimming is recommended as an alternative workout, if only to give my joints a break from impact. Peter said I should do around 30 to 45 minutes non-stop per session. That used to be a piece of cake for me, but I stopped swimming for too long. Now, it's a challenge to do 15 minutes non-stop. But with regular training, I know I'll get back in shape soon enough.

Peter promised that on my next run, he will be waiting for me at the finish line, cheering me on. So I'll give him something to cheer about - I'm going to finish 21K below the average time of 2 hours and 30 minutes. (Good luck to me!)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)