blog

LT / A beautiful mind

12:00:00 AM

I've long known that my brain operates in a wildly different way from most people's, which is why I've always loved characters in literature who are oddballs like myself. In some ways, I could actually identify with Charlie from The Perks of Being a Wallflower (we're both writers and avid readers).

The character Christopher John Francis Boone from the novel, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, is one I can somewhat relate to, as well. Penned by Mark Haddon, the book gives the reader a glimpse into the great mind of a young man who could only perceive everything literally.

Curious indeed
Christopher and I both adore Sherlock Holmes, but I usually limit the detective games in my head, whereas he pursued it to find out who killed Wellington, the neighbor's dog. The patterns he clings to for dear life is threatened by the incident, so he tries to solve the murder in the same style as the greatest fictional detective of all time.

Haddon's book is a funny but poignant tale told in the first person. I like it because it helps me understand, and perhaps even appreciate, autism (I sometimes suspect that I may be mildly autistic, myself, although all the tests I took as a child point to the opposite).

If you have a child/niece/nephew/brother/sister/friend/child of a friend who suffers from autism, this is highly recommended reading for you. It will help you open your mind and your heart to special needs persons.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)