blog

LT / Experience and imagination

12:00:00 AM

I was in college when I read Arundhati Roy's debut novel, The God of Small Things. My friend, Trina Alejo-Aligada, lent me her copy. The story revolves around fraternal twins whose lives have been forever altered by the small things that are happening around them. As the story is set in India's caste society, the strong underlying theme is social discrimination, setting the events in motion.

Cover art
(image from the internet)
To be honest, I've long since forgotten the details of the novel. I just know of the basic plot, which I won't share, because I think everyone should read this book. I read this when I was younger and therefore incredibly idealistic, and the harsh realities upon which the themes are loosely based broke my heart to bits.
The author
(photo from the internet)
Roy describes her novel as an "inextricable mix of experience and imagination," and I guess that's what makes it exceptionally powerful and evocative. This is reading that goes well with a cup of tea and a box of Kleenex. While I don't remember the details, I remember how I felt while reading this book under the covers with a flashlight running dangerously low on juice. The tears I shed on my freshly-laundered pillowcase and the effort I put into keeping my sobbing low so as not to disturb my sleeping roommate.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)