blog

LT / Move over, Sherlock

12:00:00 AM

I must admit that I don't really read a lot of books penned by Filipino authors, except for the titles required for school. I read the works of the late Maningning Miclat, and Lakambini Sitoy. But other than those two, I didn't really have other go-to Filipino writers. I still don't actually. This is embarrassingly unpatriotic of me, I know, and for that, I apologize.

It's not that I don't believe in Filipino writing talent, because I really do. It just so happened that my favorite genre, philosophy, is dominated by Westerners, as is my second favorite genre, which is mystery/thriller. But F.H. Batacan's Palanca-winning Smaller and Smaller Circles was a surprise. A very, very, very pleasant one.

Move over, Sherlock Holmes. Father Emil has arrived.
The book is great literature, the kind that will keep you turning the pages until you get to the end. I am a huge fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, so it's understandable why Smaller and Smaller Circles appealed to me. Finally, we have a Filipino detective novel, the sleuth being a forensic anthropologist who also happens to be a Jesuit priest who races against time to stop a serial killer.

I thoroughly enjoyed the two hours I dedicated to reading this book. It's an intelligent and fast-paced mystery thriller, the first of its kind in Filipino literature, and it definitely deserves the awards it raked in.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)