blog

LT / Not the average love story

12:00:00 AM

I'm sure that most if not all people have loved one person that they let slip, who is popularly referred to as "the one that got away." This is usually the result of bad timing, difficult circumstances, cowardice, and/or foolish decisions. Whatever the reason, people generally feel a pang of regret when they think of that person who could have radically altered the direction of their lives.

More often than not, people just choose to move forward, only occasionally reminiscing and thinking about what could have been. That's the sensible thing to do; we can't be stuck in the past. But I guess there's a handful of individuals out there who just don't have it in them to let go of their one great love. There are those who dare to hope against hope despite the odds being against them. I can't say I've met someone like that, but I'm sure they exist because I've read about them in literature.

Powerful
The best stories come from a place of truth. That being said, reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez' Love in the Time of Cholera led me to believe that there are people out there who are still hung up on the one that got away. Florentino Ariza threw himself to his work and to his 622 affairs, but all the while reserved his heart for his young love, Fermina Daza. When her husband passed away, he attends the funeral so he could once again declare his love for her.

If the story is told that way, it's almost easy to dismiss Florentino as a pathetic character. But the author weaves a beautiful, powerful story that can make the reader see beyond the madness of the character holding on to something that he should have let go 51 years earlier. It's heartbreaking, actually, but the writing just makes you keep turning the pages to know how things will turn out.

Okay, I won't spoil it for you, but let me just say that at the end of it, I was wiping tears off my eyes. Well, actually, I have been wiping tears off my eyes way before the last chapter. Few authors have that power over me, and Gabriel Garcia Marquez is one of them. I've read two of his other works - One Hundred Years of Solitude, and Memories of My Melancholy Whores, and no one writes about love and loss like this man.

P.S. There's a movie based on the book, but I haven't seen it yet. You might want to check that out.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)